Hummus or houmous means chickpea in Arabic. This delicious dip or spread is delicious slathered on warm pita, as an accompaniment to falafels, grilled chicken, lamb, and eggplant. It’s so easy to make yourself at home and a great way to get gut loving fibre into your life.
- 240g dried chickpeas
- Juice of ½-whole lemon
- 2-4 large cloves of garlic (depending on your taste – we like ours extra garlic-y)
- 1 tbs tahini (or 2 tbs of sesame seeds)
- 2 tsps cumin
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked paprika (optional for seasoning)
- Cook chickpeas as per packet instructions (generally involves soaking overnight, bring them to the boil in a fresh pan of water, then simmer until soft).
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. If it’s too dry, add extra water.
- Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Top with smoked paprika and serve with veggie sticks.
1 serve = ~30g